Monday, March 28, 2011

Specific Prayer for Your Specific Man!

Do you ever pray for your future husband? If you answered yes, is that "Yes, I pray a very generic prayer: dear God please help prepare my future husband today, amen."
Have you ever thought about specifically praying for him, with details requests?

God has been so good to me lately, he has shown me the value of praying specific prayers for my future husband. At first I started praying for his struggles with temptation, since we all know this is a huge thing for men. Then I started asking God to develop godly characteristics in him; the kind of characteristics that will make him a strong leader who will allow me to willingly follow him.
This past week God took it a step further. He led me to make a list of the very specific godly qualities I wanted in a husband such as:

  • Someone who puts the needs of others before his own. Philippians 2:3-4 "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."
  • Someone who invests his time wisely. Ephesians 5:15-17 "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is."
  • Someone who invests his money wisely. Proverbs 3:9 "Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops."
This is only 3 examples, I had 20 total (however there is no magical number.) Most of mine were based off of huge lessons God has taught me about life, and most of these lessons had scripture to go with them, which is the most important part.


I am now committing to daily pray through each of the specific qualities for my future husband. I am no longer asking God for just a godly man. I am now asking him for a godly man with specific godly characteristics that line up with my values.
At the end of my prayers however, I am careful to say "but God, let your will be done and not mine." My saying this I am recognizing that God has the ultimate authority in my life and he has the ultimate man already picked out for me.


Try making your own list. What qualities are important to you? What life lessons have shaped you and taught you your system of values? What characteristics does your family have that are necessary to have in a husband? What scriptures do you base your life around?

Then commit to pray for these in a man daily. God will bless you for asking (Matthew 7:7) AND think how cool it will be to tell your husband one day all that you have been praying about! I am even keeping a journal so I can prove it. :)


God bless you girls today!
Feel free to comment/question.